Closing Date: Until filled / 1st review May 6, 2020
JOB SUMMARY: Under general administrative direction from the City Manager, is directly responsible in planning, directing, and overseeing the activities and operations of the Public Works Department including Planning, Engineering, Development Services, Neighborhood Services, Refuse and Recycle, Fleet Services, and Animal Control divisions. In addition, this position indirectly and in conjunction with Utilities Director assists with Water, Wastewater, Natural Gas, GIS, Streets and Drainage divisions. These divisions may be reassigned temporarily or permanently. Coordinates assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies. Provides highly responsible and complex administrative work. Manages construction contracts. Performs other related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Directs department services and activities of the public works divisions; and recommends and administers policies and procedures.
• Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules, and expedites workflow; studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations. Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; and identifies opportunities for improvement and assists in directing the implementation of changes.
• Assures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget; perform cost control activities; monitors revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control; assists with the preparation of budget requests; assure effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel materials, facilities, and time.
• Ensures that the policies and goals of the City Manager are achieved in a timely and professional manner.
• Prepares engineering plans and specifications, bidding, competency of contractors and vendors, and the selection criteria for public contracts.
• Oversees project management for the construction of the municipal public works projects. Oversees assigned projects to ensure contractor compliance with time and budget parameters for the project.
• Coordinates the preparation of reviews and updates the sanitary sewer, water, storm drainage, and street system maps, data base, and comprehensive plans.
• Oversees the maintenance of infrastructure.
• Prepares project reports, presentations and other official documents as required.
• Provides staff support to a variety of boards and commissions; attends and participates in professional group meetings; and stays abreast of new trends and innovations regarding public works.
• Responds to and resolves sensitive inquiries and complaints from both internal and external sources.
• Attends City Council meetings and takes necessary action regarding Council agenda items.
• Assists with plans, proposals and other capital improvements; reviews plans and designs; and recommends and/or approves actions.
• Meets with State and Federal agency representatives to ensure compliance with regulations and codes related to assigned functional areas; and resolves situations characterized by non-compliance.
• Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required and as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
• Receives administrative supervision from the City Manager or Assistant City Manager
• Exercises direct supervision over management, professional, technical, and clerical staff. Assists in the selection and placement of department staff. Provides supervisory duties, and coordinates work activities.
• Resolves issues in problem areas and recommends corrective action. As assigned, disciplines and counsels employees following established practices. Conducts investigations on operational problems and makes recommendations for improvements. Supervises, trains, and motivates personnel and evaluates positions.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The principle duties of this position are performed in an office environment. Standing, walking and sitting for prolonged periods of time. The employee also performs duties in a field environment, required in the monitoring of projects and normal operational activities on development and construction sites. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk; reach with hands and arms; occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Required to work in outside weather conditions, including heat, cold and temperature swings, for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work near heavy equipment, construction equipment and other mechanical equipment.
ALCOHOL AND DRUG TESTING POLICY: This position is subject to the City of Del Rio’s Alcohol and Drug Testing Policy which includes: Pre-employment testing, Post-Accident Testing, Random Testing, Reasonable Suspicion Testing, Return to Duty Testing, and Follow-Up Testing.
Education and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university.
• Licensed as Professional Engineer with proficiency in Civil Engineering. Licensed in Texas or ability to obtain license within 6 months.
• Five to ten years’ experience in planning and managing civil engineering related projects and supervising the work of subordinate staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of operational characteristics, services, and activities of public works programs.
• Knowledge of organization, function, and authority of various City departments. Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, ordinances, statutes, and regulations.
• Knowledge of principles and practices regarding the maintenance of public utility systems.
• Knowledgeable in safety regulations, work practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, planning, design, construction and administration of municipal public works programs.
• Ability to analyze problems, provide alternatives, identify solutions in support of established goals, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations.
• Skilled supervisor, ability to provide administrative and professional leadership and direction to subordinate staff.
• Skilled in the use of personal computer or computer aided drafting and design techniques, geographic information systems, calculator, and testing and measuring equipment preferred.
• Skilled in Microsoft Office programs
• Ability to identify and respond to community and City Council issues, concerns, and needs.
• Ability to prepare and administer a complex departmental budget and allocate limited resources in a cost-effective manner.
• Ability to research, analyze, and evaluate new service delivery methods, procedures, and techniques.
• Ability to effectively analyze unforeseen conditions, conflicts, situations, and construction problems and determine sound acceptable solutions and necessary action to resolve such situations.
• Ability to plan, organize, schedule and prioritize work assignments.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with City Council, City management, private firms, property owners, contractors, consultants and the general public.
• Ability to make formal presentations to City Council, Commissions, Committees, Community Groups and others as needed.
• Ability to produce professional presentations, written documents and spreadsheets
• Ability to develop, implement, and administer goals, objectives, and procedures for providing effective and efficient services for the City.
• Ability to manage daily workloads and meet deadlines in order to maintain efficiency within the department.
• Ability to coordinate preparation of specifications, estimates, work schedules, plans, maps and reports.
• Ability to safely operate and care for City vehicle in carrying out the business of the department and the City.
• Ability to speak and understand Spanish preferred but not required.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must have a valid Class “C” Driver’s License (must obtain Texas Class “C” driver’s license within 30 days of hire per state law)
• Must pass a drug test, driver’s license check, educational verification check, criminal history background check, and social security number verification check
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS
• The City of Del Rio investigates and obtains information from all references, both personal and professional, employers, public agencies, licensing authorities, and educational institutions in
order to obtain information about applicants and to otherwise verify the accuracy of information provided in the application
• The City does not unlawfully discriminate in employment practices and no question on the application is used for the purpose of limiting or excusing any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited and protected by applicable Local, State or Federal law
• Applicants must agree to submit to any medical examination and/or drug and alcohol testing to determine the ability to perform the duties of the position which applied for and employment is contingent upon the results thereof
• If an offer of employment is made, the applicant is required to provide proof of identity and legal authority to work in the United States as per Federal immigration laws requiring form I-9
THE CITY OF DEL RIO, TEXAS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.