APPLY HERE: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sugarlandtx?page=1
All applicants must complete a City of Sugar Land Employment Application (Resume in lieu of application is not accepted).
The City of Sugar Land is seeking a full-time Utilities Operator in the Public Works Department.
Why Should You Join Our Team?
We are a full-service municipality located approximately 20 miles southwest of downtown Houston that invests in our team and offers real opportunities for career growth. We pay our Environmental Managers a competitive salary of $20.35 - $26.28 per hour, depending on your qualifications. We also offer great benefits and perks available on your first day of employment, including: City-subsidized health benefits; life and disability insurance; a variety of voluntary benefits; a robust pension plan with TMRS to set you up for a fulfilling retirement; flexible schedules and work from home opportunities, a down-to-earth casual environment and dress code, and a positive team-oriented culture stemming from a long-term commitment to innovation and inclusion. You can even bring your dog and/or cat to work if they have a solid understanding of office decorum.
Benefits At A Glance:
- City-subsidized Medical and Dental Insurance with a variety of plan options;
- City-paid Basic Life Insurance @ 1x your annual salary and Long-term Disability;
- Voluntary Vision, Supplemental Life Coverage (for you and your family), Aflac indemnity plans such as Accident, Cancer, Hospitalization and Critical Illness, Short Term Disability and pre-paid legal benefits through Legal Shield;
- 9 paid holidays and up to 3 floating holidays to use at your discretion;
- A generous vacation package with accruals starting on day 1;
- Paid sick leave;
- A robust pension plan with TMRS includes your 7% contribution with 2:1 match by the City to set you up for a fulfilling retirement;
- You won’t contribute to Social Security, but you can further your retirement income by contributing to a Deferred Compensation (457b) plan;
- Longevity pay for each month of service after your first 13 months of employment;
- On-site Wellness facilities and programming (mind, body spirit & financial preparedness); and
- Access to multiple mental health benefits and resources, including a robust EAP;
If we have your attention… Please. Continue. Reading!
About the City of Sugar Land
The City of Sugar Land, a municipality with a population of 111,026, provides the highest quality of affordable services to meet the needs of its residents. Master-planned communities and welcoming neighborhoods enhance home values and create a sense of belonging. The community offers outstanding schools, libraries, parks, museums, restaurants, entertainment venues, and other resources that make Sugar Land a great place to work, live and raise a family. Sugar Land's aggressive economic development program has created a business-friendly environment, and numerous high-profile regional and international corporations have chosen Sugar Land as their corporate home. Sugar Land is also home to an award-winning regional airport and multiple civic organizations for those interested in the community and government.
We are proud to have been named one of the Top 50 places to live in the United States by The Press of Atlantic City and the Top 25 Best Places to Live for Families by Fortune Magazine. We hire people based on their potential, not just their experience. We have an informal work environment but are serious about what we do. We believe that happy, diverse and talented employees add value to the City. We do our best to hire friendly, professional people who work hard and play well with others. We also promote a healthy work-life balance and personal development.
Are we the right fit for YOU?
The ideal candidate must have experience working in a Surface Water Treatment Plant. The ideal candidate must be able to perform a variety of tasks in the operation and maintenance of a water treatment plant. The ideal candidate must maintain a working knowledge of water plant equipment, quality control and testing on a day-to-day basis. An understanding of diagnosing operating problems and performing the necessary corrective action is vital.
We are looking for a candidate that is able to prioritize and manage work assignments in a fast-paced environment. Strong attention to detail and ability to make independent judgements is critical for success in the role, as are high levels of organization, and self-motivation. Ask yourself: Do you enjoy working in a Surface Water Plant? Do you have a Class C Water Operator Certification? If so, please consider applying for the Utilities Operator position today!
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: (so you know which section to paste this to in NeoGov)
As a Utilities Operator, you will:
- Operates treatment facilities to control flow and processing of water and sludge.
- Diagnoses operating problems and performs necessary corrective action during work shift.
- Monitors gauges, meters, and control panels.
- Observes variations in operating conditions and interprets meter and gauge readings and test results to determine process adjustment requirements.
- Operates valves and gates either manually or by remote control.
- Starts and stops pump, engines, and generators to control and adjust flow and treatment processes.
- Maintains shift log and records meter and gauge readings.
- Collects samples and performs routine laboratory tests and analyses.
- Performs routine maintenance functions and custodial duties.
- Makes operating decisions in absence of supervisory personnel.
- Understands and carries out oral and written directions.
- Required to work as an essential employee before, during and after an emergency or disaster, whether natural or acts of war.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (so you know which section to paste this to in NeoGov)
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED Required.
- Two (2) years of experience in operating a surface water treatment plant required.
Training (License and/or Certification):
- Valid Class "C" Texas Driver License
- Class C Surface Water Operator Certification from TCEQ
Our success is achieved by the courage to do things differently and accept that failure will occur on the path to innovation.
The City of Sugar Land is an equal opportunity employer.